Install using ESP GUI
1. Downloading the firmware bin file
You can find precompiled .bin files on the release page. Be sure to download the latest version. This file looks something like this:
If you are not sure what binary you should use look at this page: What binary should I use?
2. Downloading the Flash Download Tools
Espressif has an official GUI tool for Windows.
It has a lot of options and can be used for the ESP8266 and ESP32.
You can find it on Espressif's download page here!
(if the link changed, just search for
esp flash download tool on Google)
After downloading the file, unzip it and start
3. Flashing the firmware bin files
flash_download_tools_v[...].exe there should pop up two small windows. Now just click on the
Developer Mode and
ESP8266 DownloadTool button.
Now a new window opens.
- Under the SPIDownload section select the
WLED_[...]_ESP[...].binfile by clicking on the first
- In the Textfield next to the "@" char put in this adress:
- Than make sure that the file is checked (click on the checkbox)
- Click on the
- Set SPI Speed to
- Set Flash Size to
- Select the COM Port of your ESP (usually it's not
- BAUD can be set to
Verify that everything looks like the two picture below °ESPTool settings
(optionally) click on ERASE to erase the entire flash chip
- click on
Now the firmware will be flashed to the ESP. When the firmware flashing was successful you see this: . Finally restart your board.
Next steps: Quick start guide